14 June 2011

Lucky

Something very good happened the other day.  You recall how much Malachi wants to pet a birdie (or a bunny)?  And is sad because he can't?  Well, one evening Sam came running in the house calling Malachi.  As he drove home, Sam had seen a robin sitting on the side of the street not moving, and when he got close to it, it just sat there and looked at him.  Then it fluttered a little way away and sat still again.  It didn't look hurt, so Sam came and got Malachi and brought him outside to see.

They walked very slowly and carefully up to the birdie and it stayed still, watching them, and finally they got very close and Malachi carefully reached out and petted his back.  ("How did it feel?" I asked.  "Like fur," said Malachi.)  And then the birdie fluttered off.  It was so amazing; I never thought such a thing would happen.  Maybe Grandpa Nelson had a hand in it? :)

I have NEVER seen a happier boy than Ky when he came racing inside to tell me about it.  (Here he is explaining. "I love that birdie, Mommy!  I didn't touch his peek [that's beak], because I didn't want him to bite me, so I don't know what his peek feels like.  Maybe it's soft.  His feathers were so soft!  And he wasn't even scared of me!  He let me pet him because he knows I'm so, so nice and I love birdies and I'm NEVER going to hurt him!  He's a nice birdie and he LIKED me!")

2 comments:

Allison Nelson said...

So happy for Malachi! What a magical moment. :)

Chelsea said...

Oh Ky, I am so happy for you! I have never, ever touched a birdie. What a special night with your Daddy.